Let’s face it—a lot of us are not quite sure how to put on a duvet cover. Maybe you’ve been more or less wrestling it on each time and have always had a sneaking feeling that there has to be a better way. Or maybe you've even found yourself trapped inside the duvet cover on occasion, trying to tie those pesky corner ties....
Well fear no more! Just like Scandinavian bed-making, getting a duvet cover on is supposed to be simple—and can even be fun! Here are two easy ways to get your duvet cover on, without breaking a sweat.
The traditional method
The traditional method is what most people are trying to do when they get it wrong. It should be straightforward, right? You just put the duvet in the duvet cover. Yes, but there’s a trick to it, and it starts with turning the cover inside out.
- For the traditional method, lay your duvet (the part that goes inside the cover) over your bed.
- Next, making sure the cover is inside out, lay the duvet cover over the top of the duvet, with the opening at the bottom of the bed.
- The Modern Dane’s duvet covers have corner-ties to help keep your duvet in place. Now is the time to tie the top corner-ties of the duvet cover to the loops at the top corners of your duvet. (If your duvet doesn’t have loops, you can simply tie the ties tightly around each corner.)
- From the bottom of the bed, work your hands inside the duvet cover, up toward the top corners. Then pair each cover corner with the duvet’s top corners, and flip the cover right side out and over the top corners of the duvet.
- Gently slide the duvet cover down and over the rest of the duvet, holding the duvet cover in place as you go. Now tie the bottom corner-ties, then close the cover at the base of the bed.
- To straighten and fluff the duvet, give the whole thing a shake, holding it from the corners and edges when you do so.
The burrito method
The burrito method might seem a bit mystifying at first, but with enough practice you might decide that it’s actually the easiest way to get your duvet cover on—and certainly the best method for keeping bed-making fun!
- For the burrito method, the first step is to lay your duvet cover over your bed, inside out, with the opening at the base of the bed.
- Next, lay the duvet over the top of the duvet cover. Now is the time to tie the duvet to the cover if you have loops and ties—again, if you don’t have loops, you can simply tie around each corner of the duvet.
- Next, starting at the top of the bed, begin to roll up the duvet and duvet cover together, down and toward the bottom of the bed.
- When you get to the bottom, take the opening of the duvet cover and pull it right side out and around the roll. Fasten buttons to create the burrito.
- Finally, unroll the covered duvet, by pinching at the matched closure and bottom edge and gently pulling the roll apart and shaking and straightening as you go. Give the duvet and cover a final shake to smooth and fluff.
Really new to duvets?
Confused about terms like duvet, duvet cover, duvet insert, comforters, etcetera? Don’t worry—we've created a guide on the difference between a duvet and a comforter, which helps explain what they are and why they’re different, the pros and cons of each, and how to properly care for them.
And then when you’re ready, check out The Modern Dane’s exclusive collection of European flax linen duvet covers, with beautiful Scandinavian botanical prints to give your bedroom a modern and cozy feel.